We often quote this scripture in reference to “marriages”, and the importance of loving our wives… but I read this today and it made me think about how much Jesus loved the church. Yes, the organized religious establishment! Let us not forget, He (Jesus) set it up!
Now, I will be the first to admit that we may not resemble what Jesus intended totally, some more than others, BUT there are those churches who are really trying to be what Jesus intended.
So, the question of the day is; If Jesus started a church what would it look like? Not what color would the walls be, but what would it feel like, what would it be doing, saying… in this culture, in this time in history? Great questions I seek answers to everyday.
Without going into all my thoughts, I think we get glimpses of what that church might have looked like by simply looking at the early church. So here are just a few things I think The Real Church of Jesus Christ, pastored by Jesus Christ, might look like:
1) There would be a prevailing spirit of LOVE for each member
2) There would be a prevailing spirit of LOVE for their city, state, country, world
3) There would be UNITY amongst other religious groups all trying to do the same things
4) The people of that church would be irrepressible in helping hurting people
5) The church would be open-armed to all who would come… all are welcome to come and drink
… and if that church were in Olathe, it would be called Olathe Life Fellowship!